Monday, October 25, 2010

Sailing with Bob Verdugo

My good friend Bob Verdugo passed away suddenly and tragically last weekend.

We worked together and sailed together for many years. Here we are double-handing my J22 in a good breeze off Annapolis. We were "in-the-zone" together that day, hardly talking, just sailing, picking the shifts, focused intensly on what we were doing and planning silently what each of us had to do next, knowing that any little mishap would probably lead to disaster. A true team. I can't remember how we finished that day, but we beat a lot of boats and were extremely pleased at the way we sailed.

Bob and I haven't sailed together recently as I sold the J22 when he changed careers and went into real estate, effectively ending his ability to take weekends off, and my other regular, Dan Buan, needed to spend weekends with his growing family.

I miss those days on the water with good friends working as a team and I can't believe any of us will never get to sail or do anything else with Bob again.

Bob was a very good man, a good friend, and a great crew. Our sympathies go out to his family in this difficult time.

1 comment:

Tweezerman said...

Sad news. Bob was my back yard neighbor. Great guy. I remember the year he trained to do a marathon. He did it and swore he would never do that again. We inherited "Crazy Max" the Border Collie from him (he was technically dog sitting for a co-worker sailing around the world).